The LFX delivers the most standard power in the regular sports car segment. It is also 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than its predecessor, which promotes a more balanced driving experience. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy for the '12 Camaro is 30 mpg (2LS model).
Compared to the 3.6L V-6 in 2011 models, the new LFX engine features:
- New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
- Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
- Longer-duration intake camshafts
- Composite intake manifold
- New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
- New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
- Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
- Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
- Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.
Direct injection is the key technology enabling the engine's combination of power and efficiency. It optimizes fuel delivery to the combustion chamber by introducing fuel closer to the combustion chamber. The result is better efficiency in the combustion process leading to increased fuel efficiency at part and full throttle. It also uses a new fuel pump for the direct injection system, along with a new, isolated fuel rail. The new fuel pump is quieter, while the isolated fuel rail further reduces fuel system noise.
FE4 suspension enhances performance
The new FE4 suspension debuts as a performance improvement for the Camaro SS coupe in 2012, focusing on more refined handling.
"Our objective was to create a more precise sport suspension for the SS coupe, with greater road-holding capability," said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. "We applied lessons learned from extensive track testing to better refine the suspension geometry for flatter cornering, a more neutral balance during hard turns, and minimized understeer at the limit."
Elements of the FE4 package include:
- Retuned front and rear dampers
- New solid front (23 mm) and rear (24 mm) stabilizer bars
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels and P245/45R20 front/P275/40R20 rear tires (SS).
More than just new components, the new FE4 performance suspension incorporates learning from the ongoing development of the high-performance Camaro ZL1. In particular, the suspension geometry has been adjusted, including reshaped stabilizer bars that are repositioned outboard of the shock mounts. This results in more effective body control and more precise response in performance driving.
Interior, exterior and technology updates
The 2012 model year brings appearance, ergonomic and technology upgrades inside for Camaro drivers and passengers. The interior updates include a revised instrument panel appearance, with new instrument graphics and trim, as well as a new steering wheel design and a power lift feature for the front passenger seat. The steering wheel features a fresh new look and ergonomic improvements intended to support performance driving.
Also new for Camaro in 2012 is a Rear Vision Package, which adds a rear-view camera system and an auto-dimming mirror to the existing Rear Park Assist feature. The rear view camera system complements the rear parking assist by providing a video display of the area behind the car, with the video image appearing in the car's inside rearview mirror.
On the exterior for 2012, a new rear spoiler will be added as a standard feature for Camaro; and the taillamps that had been a part of the RS appearance package option are also being made standard. Additionally, a new, body-color antenna joins the RS package.
Crystal Red Tintcoat replaces Red Jewel as an exterior color.
45th Anniversary package details
Launching in the summerof 2011, the 45th Anniversary Special Edition commemorates both Camaro's lineage and its 21st-century revival. The anniversary package will be offered on Camaro's top two trim levels (2LT and 2SS) for both coupe and convertible body styles.
The exterior signature of the Chevrolet Camaro 45th Anniversary Special Edition is its unique rally stripe, in red and silver, that contrasts the Carbon Flash Metallic paint. The package also includes:
- Unique 45th Anniversary hood and deck stripes; badges located beneath the front fender emblems
- New-design 20-inch wheels in dark silver
- Fog lamp and taillamp bezels finished in dark silver
- RS-style taillamp lenses
- Standard rear spoiler and HID headlamps
- Body-color roof molding
- Jet Black interior with leather-trimmed seats featuring the 45th Anniversary logo
- White instrument panel and door trim inserts with the 45th Anniversary logo on the instrument panel
- Red, white and blue stitching on the seats, steering wheel, shift knob/boot, door armrests and console lid
45th Anniversary logo on the steering wheel and sill plates.